"Back to Beethoven" Composition Competition
Organized by the Beethoven Society for Music and Research in collaboration with the “Amadeus Festival VIENNA”
The Beethoven Society for Music and Research in association and with the kind support of the “Amadeus Festival VIENNA” are announcing a competition for composers of any age to compose a new work for piano, violin, cello or a combination of the above.
The works should reflect the composer’s view on the tradition and influence of Beethoven in today’s modern classical world. The topic of the competition “Inspired by Beethoven” is chosen in accordance with worldwide celebrated Beethoven year 2020.
The composers are requested to submit a statement of maximum 5 A4 pages in German or English language to share insight and reflections on the structure of their piece, and the creative process, a CV including past and future projects and a PDF file of their composition.
- Welcome to participate are composers regardless of nationality, age or gender;
- The competition is open to new compositions, which have not been premiered;
- The original piece and the accompanying statement should arrive at the competition office by 29. May latest;
- The piece may be for piano OR violin OR viola OR cello OR any combination of these instruments up to a piano quintet, for example string duos or trios, piano trio, piano quartet, string quartet, piano quintet (the allowed instruments are piano, 1 or 2 violins, viola and cello);
- The duration of the piece should be between 10’ and 13’ Minutes;
- The winning pieces will be announced by the 15.June 2020 on the website of the "Amadeus Festival VIENNA" and on the website of the Beethoven Society for Music and Research;
- There will be a monetary prize of 1000 Euro awarded by the “Amadeus Festival VIENNA” to a piece of the Jury’s choice;
- The Jury will select pieces which will be performed at the “Amadeus Festival VIENNA” or/and the Beethoven Days Vienna, organized by the Beethoven Society for Music and Research;
- By participating in the competition all composers agree, that their works may be performed at the “Amadeus Festival VIENNA” or the “Beethoven Days Vienna” without further remuneration, should their work be awarded a prize;
- The Jury consists of internationally active musicians, performers of the above-mentioned instruments and composers: Johanna Doderer, Karen Goh, Yury Revich and Yuliya Draganova
- The Jury sessions will be held in Vienna after the participants have submitted their works;
- Upon sending the application, the composers are requested to transfer an application fee of 35- Euro to the office of the competition
Required materials for application
1) A CV in German and English including a picture, references to past and future projects;
2) A statement of maximum 5 DIN A4 pages in German or English language to share insight and reflections on the structure of the piece, and the creative process;
3) A PDF file (or 2 printed copies) with an original composition, which has not been premiered, of duration between 10’ and 13’ Minutes;
4) The topic of the composition and the accompanying statement should be “Inspired by Beethoven”. The title of the composition may be different.
1) An email with the required documents must reach the office by 29.May 2020, Friday.
2) The results will be announced by 15.June 2020 on the website of the Festival and the website of the Beethoven Society for Music and Research.